October 9th 2018
Headway Arts is delighted to announce that we have been awarded funding towards our dynamic CoCreART programme from Arts Council England through Grants for the Arts. CoCreART is an ambitious artistic programme which puts disabled and disadvantaged artists centre stage.
There are 7 elements to the CoCreART programme:
- Stars Workshops: Engaging weekly creative and performing arts workshops at Headway ArtSpace, Blyth, aiming to inspire new creative journeys. Running Monday to Thursday each week exploring a different art form each day. 12 week blocks of one day per week offer opportunities to learn and develop new skills from a variety of high-quality artists.
- Headway Arts Inclusive Theatre Company: A highly skilled ensemble including learning disabled actors, working together in equity to co-create magical, authentic and bold theatre. Pioneering world-class professional theatre opportunities touring locally, nationally and internationally to offer audiences fresh ideas.
- Commissions for Exchange Laboratories: one learning disabled artist from Headway Arts and one new visiting Artist explore and share their skills together. Five short but intensive laboratories aiming to co-create new shared work across a variety of art forms and equally explore each other’s processes, influences, culture and practice.
- Collaboration: exciting and innovative partnership work with venues across the region focusing on audience development and new ways of working with learning disabled artists.
- Headway Arts Inclusive Dance Company: Vibrant performances focus on the place where natural unique movement crosses dynamic contemporary dance and production techniques, bringing unique movement, often to original scores, and new perspectives on learning disabled dance to the audience.
- Come On Down Festival: The 15th annual original and best fantastic free festival of creativity by learning disabled people. Quality performances, exhibitions, talks and art by talented learning disabled artists from across the north east and beyond.
- CoCreARTive Conversations: Discussion labs and visual dialogues developing critical skills and evaluation techniques leading up to the CoCreART Symposium.
CoCreART, aligned with our wider artistic programme, offers the region a most comprehensive high quality inclusive artistic programme which will champion and support the fuller participation of learning disabled people in the cultural life of their communities.
Programme launch date: 9th October 2018